Requisition ID: 107845
Career Group: Transportation
Job Category: Distribution & Logistics
Travel Requirements: 0 – 10%
Part Time or Full Time: Full Time
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Manitoba (CA-MB)
Location: 0036 Winnipeg RSC
Our family of 127,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better – great experiences, families, communities, and our employees. We are a family nurturing families.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1500 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawton’s Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
The Transportation Dispatcher is responsible for assigning and dispatching transportation activities, including retail store deliveries, back-haul pick-ups, shuttle work, and other driver tasks. They assist in ensuring driver compliance with Provincial DOT regulations. They also assist with required records, reports and control systems. The dispatcher is the key contact person with the drivers and the retail customers.
- Ensure the planned routes are assigned and delivered as scheduled.
- Email the Sobeys Transportation and Reporting Times document to the stores
- Maintain and update any data bases and issue daily reports on relevant KPIs.
- Efficiently plan outbound deliveries using various software programs
- Communicate changes in the delivery schedule or routes (rush orders, add-ons, transfers etc.) to RSC Operations.
- Ensure CBA language is followed when assigning tasks or scheduling drivers.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment as per company requirements
- Other duties as required
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the RSC’s health and safety program by promoting a safe work culture, encourage ongoing safe work practices
- Ensures all checklists are complete, current and accurate.
- Act as an engagement ambassador with the drivers and retail customers.
- Problem solve delivery challenges (miss-delivered pallets, rush orders, etc.)
Technical Skills Required:
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines while ensuring accuracy
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work effectively in a team
Technical Skills Preferred:
- Understanding of and insure compliance to Company Policies and all aspects related to operation of Commercial Vehicles including National Safety Code, Hours of Service, Weights and Measures and Long Combination Vehicle Programs across the prairies.
- Educational and Working Experience
- High School Diploma
- Ability to work varyious shifts, including evenings and weekend
- A minimum of one year experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with the Western Canada road network
- Knowledge of warehouse and transportation
- Experience in Transportation Operations and experience in operating commercial vehicles.
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.