The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Legislative Library provides non-partisan access to specialized information resources for the Legislature, government, and people of Manitoba, and ensures current and future access to Manitoba’s published heritage. The Library is seeking a skilled library professional to join the reference team as the Bilingual Reference Services Technician.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Ability to perform shelving and lifting duties up to 30 lbs independently
- Must be able to communicate fluently in English and French
- Successful completion of a post-secondary library technician diploma. An equivalent combination of related education/training and experience may be considered
- Experience working in a research library providing reference services
- Experience with library sytems software
- Ability to answer in-depth research questions
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple activities
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work diplomatically and effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal English communication skills
- Excellent written English communication skills
- Excellent verbal French communication skills
- Excellent written French communication skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience using online databases for reference work
- Knowledge of the Legislative Library’s mandate
Reporting to the Head, Reference Services the position provides detailed information and reference assistance to Members and staff of the Legislative Assembly, provincial government employees and the public, primarily at 200 Vaughan Street and also at the Legislative Reading Room.
The incumbent is responsible for circulation control for the library’s primary clientele and interlibrary loan services involving libraries in Manitoba and throughout the world. As a front-line position for borrowers, walk-in clients and telephone requests, the incumbent will often be the first point of contact and must provide excellent customer service. It is also essential to be able to work independently or as part of a team.
Advertisement # 36641
Service Centre 4
Human Resource Services
600-259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB , R3B 2A9
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.