DISABILITY & BENEFITS SPECIALIST – 12 month term
As an integral member of our dynamic team, we are searching for a Disability & Benefits Specialist to contribute to the accomplishment of human resources practices and objectives that provide an employee oriented, high performance culture. Reporting to the Director, Human Resources this position will be responsible for the management of all leaves of absences and disability management programs (short-term disability, long-term disability, return to work and workplace accommodation planning) including the maintenance of employee medical files, responding to daily inquiries and ensuring the HR processes and procedures are administered correctly and consistently and providing support to Canadian and US pension and benefit programs.
The ideal candidate will be innovative and forward thinking with a focus on continuous improvement to ensure the organization is able to meet changing business needs. They will have excellent interpersonal skills, be driven and possess a strong knowledge of the human resource practices. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual looking to expand their experience in the HR field.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Ensure effective disability claims management and leave of absence management:
- Provide proactive in-depth guidance and support to employees and managers when an employee illness/injury impacts performance or attendance, coordinate meetings with individuals and request necessary medical to ensure appropriate accommodations are in place.
- Liase with benefit carriers.
- Process all leave of absence requests.
- Monitor employee benefit payments and ensure payments continue while employee is on leave.
- Ensure accuracy of applicable reporting and provide analysis and recommendations as per trending.
- Support the Health & Safety and Environmental Team on all disability management related matters.
Support Canadian and US pension and benefit programs:
- Maintains and exceeds service standards that align with customer needs, answering questions from employees, address concerns and communicate with insurance carriers to resolve any issues.
- Ensure input of accurate and timely information using the online benefit system and Winpak’s HRIS; process new hires, changes, terminations or retirements in a timely manner and provide correspondence to employees.
- Provide support in maintaining U.S. benefits for Winpak Inc.
Support the human resources team:
- Lead or assist the Human Resources department in special projects as assigned.
- Maintain private information files in accordance with the Privacy Act.
- Promote teamwork, cooperation, and effective communication within the department and Company. Interact with all levels of the operations in support of Winpak’s TQI program. Participate in TQW group.
- Perform duties and responsibilities in a manner compliant with ISO 9001 and SQF 2000 standards.
- Perform other duties as required.
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources.
- 3 years experience in a human resources environment.
- One plus years’ of experience coordinating return to work programs and administering benefit plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge of US benefit plans.
- Knowledge of legislation related to benefits an asset.
- Enrollment or completion of designation in Employee Benefits or retirement planning an asset.
- Ability to partner and collaborate with individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Work within tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment, while ensuring quality of work is accurate.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) skills.
- High degree of professionalism with proven ability to deal with confidential information.
- Critical thinker who analyzes information and uses logic to address issues, problems and challenges.
- Proficient in using HRIS and MS Office software, with strong emphasis on Excel
- Other combinations of education, experience, knowledge, and skills will be considered.
Winpak offers a competitive salary and benefit packages as well as excellent opportunities for professional growth and development based upon the global location of the available position.
Winpak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Pre-employment drug/alcohol/background screening may be required based on facility location.
Although we appreciate all applicants, only qualified applicants will be considered for interviews.