Why work for Lafarge?:
Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the buildings, infrastructure and industrial segments. These solutions are built with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt and road construction, and concrete products divisions. From the use of alternative materials and recycling to renewable energy, Lafarge’s focus is to develop innovative products that can contribute toward sustainably constructed building solutions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at www.lafarge.ca/en/careers .
This position requires a hands-on decision maker to supervise production in a unionized environment.
- Organize and monitor the production crews to ensure that product is made in a safe and timely manner and they are utilized in an efficient manner for the duration of their shift.
- Ensure that daily Pre-Production Meetings (PPMs) are held and that safety concerns are communicated to employees and issues are resolved.
- Ensure that Safe Work Procedures are up to date and relevant.
- Provide and organize safety training and retraining of employees.
- Ensure that employees are conducting Field Level Risk Assessments frequently and properly.
- Perform job observations as required.
- Conduct and participate in near miss and accident investigations and reporting.
- Participate in accident and near miss investigation and reporting.
- Ensure that crane and rigging inspections are completed prior to production.
- Participate in safety inspections and resolve any issues that are brought forward.
- Maintain housekeeping to provide safe and clean work environment.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Direct production activities throughout Plant and shipping.
- Meet production deadlines with optimal cost deployment. Ensure that production targets set and met based on customer’s expectations.
- Provide input to plant scheduling, and then implement current, mid and long term production schedule. Organize production crews shifts and duties.
- Provide input on build costs to sales department.
- Competently interpret construction drawings.
- Recommend staffing levels and take part in recruitment, hiring and lay-off programs.
- Implement productivity improvement targets, monitor production KPIs, and execute on productivity improvement targets in coordination with supervisor.
- Ensure that product is made within quality specs.
- Investigate quality and problematic issues on customer’s site as required, work with QC to recommend solutions, implement and follow through on corrective actions in production.
- Be proactive in resolving production related issues and in reducing the amount of dried cull product.
- Properly organize the storage of products received.
- Develop forming, reinforcing steel, and concrete competencies within unionized work force.
- Set Min/Max level on standard production goods required for production. Initiate reorder as required.
- Assist with Union and disciplinary issues as required.
- Environmental reporting and direction.
- Complete all production reporting as required.
- Support capital planning identification, implementation and opportunities.
- Work with maintenance to ensure that equipment and plant are kept in optimal condition.
- Development of documentation on GCA Pipe Standard Work Procedures.
- Work with production analyst to organize all inventory counts (raw materials and finished products).
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Reports to Operations Manager, Concrete Products.
- plant foremen and up to 25 unionized employees.
- Strong working relationship with engineering and quality departments.
- Strong working relationship with scheduling / project management group.
- Post-secondary or trade education in the construction industry (education in a related field such as architectural or civil engineering technology, construction management, industrial technology or materials). An asset.
- Concrete construction aptitude with a minimum 15 years’ experience.
- 5 years of supervisory experience in a unionized environment an asset.
Personal Attributes and Skills:
- Functions effectively in stressful situations, with proven ability to competently multi-task.
- Pipe or Precast Concrete experience a definite asset.
- Leadership capabilities. Demonstrate initiative and decisiveness.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and reinforce safe work procedures and practices with the employees.
- Should have knowledge of reinforcing, concrete, the ability to read drawings, possess the skills to plan and organize work, a sound understanding of Health and Safety regulations and computer knowledge including MS Word and Excel.
Pre-employment medical including drug & alcohol testing and a criminal record check may be required.
Through LafargeHolcim’s 2030 Plan, Lafarge is committed to providing solutions using sustainable manufacturing practices and improving the environment in and around its operations. The company has a sixty year history in Canada and works continually to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, restore wetlands for native plants and animals, and identify waste materials that can be recycled and used in our operations.