- JOB TITLE YOUTH CARE WORKER
- Provides 24-hour supervision of clients;
- Acts as a healthy role model and ensures that the needs of the youth are the primary focus in the treatment process;
- Maintains an awareness of the needs of the youth and structures a therapeutic living unit that attends to the physical and emotional needs of the youth;
- Provides the opportunity for the youth to observe and participate in a variety of community activities, with the YCW engaged in the activity as well;
- Performs house maintenance duties including but not limited to washing floors, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, pulling of weeds etc.;
- Assists the Clinician/Therapist in identifying treatment needs of youth, while ensuring a holistic approach is consistently applied regarding the youth’s needs;
- Assists the treatment team in formulating and evaluating treatment objectives involving family members and significant others whenever possible;
- Participates in the development of Treatment Plan Objectives and identifies opportunities for treatment objectives to be achieved within the community school and family as well as provides appropriate family/significant other involvement with the youth;
- Transports youth when necessary whether that is in an agency vehicle or transit;
- Reports inappropriate behaviors to the Program Manager and/or Coordinator, completes incident reporting as outlined by Licensing Standards;
- Distributes medications as outlined by Licensing Standards;
- Compiles all documentation of youth’s activities, doctor, dentist, therapy as required, Provides feedback to the Program Manager regarding youth’s progress.
- Certificate or diploma in Child & Youth Care (other combination of education and experience may be considered);
- Two years’ experience working with at risk youth;
- Knowledge of trauma and resilience informed care;
- Strong counseling skills and experience in behavior management, as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driver’s abstract (subject to approval);
- Emergency First Aid and CPR Level C;
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a clear Child Abuse Registry check with acceptable Prior Contact checks and a clear Adult Abuse Registry check, all done within the last 3 months;
- ASIST Certificate (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) and NVCI Certificate (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training) preferred;
- Mental Health First Aid & Safe Talk will be considered an asset;
- Knowledge of Indigenous customs, traditions, and beliefs will be considered an asset.
- Must be available to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
COMPETITION # 3381
NATIONAL OCCUPATION CODE 4212
NUMBER OF POSITIONS 1
POSITION TYPE PERMANENT, FULL-TIME, 40 HOURS/WEEK
Macdonald Youth Services requires experienced Youth Care Workers (YCWs) within the Healing Homes Service Area. YCWs are responsible to provide care and specialized treatment for the youth in the program. YCWs ensure that programming is provided for the youth within the policies and treatment philosophy of MYS. All responsibilities regarding youth are carried out within a youth-centered, relationship-based strengths framework that promotes the cultivation and mobilization of youth strengths, potentials and capacity for growth.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES : of the YCW include, but are not limited to: