Meet Merit Functional Foods:
Merit Foods will disrupt the industry’s perception of plant-based protein with high quality functional ingredients that are unmatched in purity, superior in solubility and exceptional in taste. As demand for a healthier, plant-based food system continues to grow, we are responding with proprietary pea and non-GMO canola protein ingredients that exceed the industry’s standards and more. Merit Functional Foods is currently building a state-of-the-art production facility in Winnipeg, where we will produce our portfolio of pea and canola protein ingredients. When complete, it will be the only commercial-scale facility capable of producing food-grade canola protein in the world.
As a member of Merit Foods, you have a sense of accountability and have an entrepreneurial mindset. You are curious, collaborative and are committed to success for all teams not just your own- you enjoy rolling up your sleeves to get work done. At Merit, we cultivate a working environment that inspires new ideas, promotes ownership, innovation and supports highly motivated individuals to take our business to the next level.
Are you an individual that enjoys being hands on and at your best in a fast-paced environment? Merit Foods is looking for an experienced General Maintenance Technician to join our team. Your primary duties include cleaning the warehouse and wash bay, and facility maintenance and supporting the Maintenance Team as needed. This is a great opportunity for an individual looking to grow their career in maintenance with a team of dedicated professionals willing to train and share their knowledge.
What you’ll do:
- Ensures the general upkeep of external property such as mowing lawns, keeping sidewalks clear of snow and ice, cleaning main floor outside windows, picking up litter, sweeping sidewalks, gardening/watering and pruning shrubs.
- Performs several minor repairs and duties in a variety of trade areas such as carpentry, plumbing and painting; reports safety concerns and major repair issues (e.g. furniture and fixtures)
- Ordering and monitoring inventory of cleaning and repair supplies for budgetary purposes, maintain cleaning logs.
- Possess a wide range of residential and commercial repair and maintenance skills.
- Responsible for the efficient and safe operation of all yard equipment, including daily maintenance.
- Responsible for the efficient and safe operation of all plant sanitation equipment, including daily maintenance utilization of floor scrubber and pallet jack as well as waste disposal.
- Assist with shipping and receiving-material handling.
- Ability to organize and plan daily tasks with minimal supervision.
- Complete waste removal and clean up as per safe work procedure.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a manufacturing maintenance environment preferred.
- Proven mechanical skills; competent and experienced with Electric floor washers and pallet jacks.
- Ability to operate industrial cleaning equipment and tools, hand tools, power tools and machine shop equipment.
- General knowledge of workplace safety practices, policies, and procedures (e.g., equipment safety, hazard communication, personal protective equipment use) to ensure performance of safe work practices.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair mechanical components.
- Excellent multi-tasking skills, strong attention to detail and ability to handle changing priorities with a sense of urgency
- Strong English communication skills (both verbal and written).
Education and qualifications:
- 3 years of experience in a manufacturing facility food, beverage or pharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Must be experienced and hold valid certification for the following equipment; Skid Steer
- Knowledge in Health & Safety Act, the Workplace Safety and other relevant legislation
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Standing 10-hour day shift ( Monday- Thursday)
- Must be available to work overtime as required.
- Environment temperature can fluctuate.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Physical demands include reaching, handling, high repetition, twisting, turning and lifting.
If you are seeking an opportunity in world class manufacturing with a dynamic company and possess the skills and traits described above, and ready for a challenge “Apply Now”. If this role does not quite match what you’re looking for, but you’d like to know more about joining the Merit Foods team, please visit our career page to view our other vacancies. We would love to hear from you!
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of uprooting the industry’s perception of plant-based protein