About the Pet Cancer Fund
The Pet Cancer Fund is a Vancouver-based organization whose vision is to increase the life expectancy and improve the quality of life of pets diagnosed with cancer.
Estimates suggest the number of dogs and cats developing cancer every year is 12 million; roughly 6x the number of humans getting cancer yearly within North America.
More needs to be done and as we set out to build a large team of distributed, animal-loving passionate volunteers to help our furry friends, we’re in search of an experienced content strategist to lead our social media content team as they create relevant and engaging content to help us tell our story.
That’s where and how you can help us.
About the position
The Social Media Content Strategist is responsible for communicating the Pet Cancer Fund story through compelling written and visual content across our online communities. The Strategist is the leader of the organization’s social media content programs, directing their team to produce relevant, engaging content using all forms of media including; written, video, still and motion graphics, and selective illustrated works.
The Content Strategist will develop and implement a strategy that will allow our online communities to work complimentarily to drive engagement and growth across those channels while ensuring that our content is representative of a leading cancer organization. The Strategist will work collaboratively with key stakeholders across the organization to incorporate PCF initiatives and campaigns into our online (social media) communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads strategic content planning for all social media channels to enable PCF’s short, medium and long-term objectives of supporting pet owners through the sharing of credible health information and awareness initiatives that lead to the improved education of pet owners on animal cancer-related topics.
- Develops and manages a monthly strategic plan for each channel while working cross-functionally with relevant stakeholders and department heads to understand and include their departmental objectives in the content plans.
- Designs and develops content classes and models (examples) to inform the planning, creation and publication of original, high quality content, representative of a leading cancer organization.
- Leads the Senior Assignment Editors and Art Manager to develop monthly content schedules that execute on the monthly strategic plan and satisfy corporate objectives for each channel.
- Manages and coaches a multidisciplinary team including editors, writers, graphic and multimedia designers, and administrative support.
- Directly mentors senior team leaders in their roles as supervisors to effectively lead and coach their respective writing and art teams.
- Monitors post engagement across all platforms and communities as part of a continual evaluation of content and strategy to ensure “best practices” as they pertain to the goal of being a leading cancer organization.
You are an experienced Content Strategist, skilled in leading a team that creates content for online communities. This is not a traditional marketing role; the Pet Cancer Fund is an organization that provides education and awareness on a very sensitive topic. The incumbent will first and foremost be a storyteller, who understands and believes that relevant and engaging content is king. You are well-versed in targeted content creation and have an in-depth understanding of what it takes to generate content for a difficult subject like cancer. Your career in communications, public relations or journalism has provided the depth of character that comes from compassionately listening and telling the stories of others.
The Strategist is not only required to ideate and generate new content regularly, they will need the necessary analytical skills to gather and interpret key user insights, to apply their strategic planning skills to create a long-term vision for the content that’s generated. You have:
- 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role or capacity
- A Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Experience creating and editing digital content for target audiences across social platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Skilled at writing and copy editing, including writing content for sensitive and difficult topics
- A professional portfolio of work that showcases the above
- Experience in Communications, public relations, or as a journalist.
- Experience in project management would be helpful but not mandatory
What we provide you with
This is an amazing role for anyone who is looking to either go into private or non-profit sectors. You will develop excellent networking and strategy skills and will continue to keep current knowledge of the latest industry trends and developments.
- This position is virtual and can be completed from anywhere in Canada or the United States.
- This is a volunteer position and the time commitment is approximately 6-8 hours per week.
- Some projects are deadline dependent and may require more hours from time to time, flexibility is a must.
- This is a volunteer position that could potentially lead into other roles within the organization.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Pay: $0.00 per year