Are you looking for work that provides exposure to a wide variety of business functions? Are you able to work collaboratively with others to achieve a common goal? Are you an influencer and a skilled negotiator?
What is the Opportunity?
As the Control Consultant on the Group Customer Risk & Controls team, you will be a trusted business partner who facilitates monitoring and testing activities within Group Customer, and drives execution of remediation action plans.
Reporting to the Manager, Compliance & Audit Coordination, you will coordinate with stakeholders in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line of defense (LOD) to ensure the design, implementation and execution of effective controls in Group Customer. You will be responsible for promoting a culture of prudent risk management, with consideration for the interests of a broad range of stakeholders including customers, shareholders and the community.
What will you do?
- Internal Control Management
- Manage and monitor Group Customer internal controls to provide a single view of controls for our organization.
- Point of contact for all control related initiatives, with particular focus on updating and maintaining the ICOFR controls.
- Manage and Monitor Group Customer’s response and compliance with the organizations controls over controlling user access, including engaging with Lifeco Controllers Group.
- Audit and assessment coordination
- Responsible for coordinating the completion of 1st LOD self-assessments and annual compliance attestations (e.g. accessibility, genetic testing, privacy, Market Conduct, Regulatory Compliance Management).
- Responsible for coordinating 2nd LOD, 3rd LOD, external audit and regulatory reviews, and monitoring/managing any resulting action plans through to completion. Includes annual CSAE 3416 audit performed by Deloitte and Internal Audit as well as ICOFR testing.
- 1st Line of Defence Testing
- Responsible for developing and implementing a risk based 1st Line of Defence (LOD) testing framework in Group Customer that effectively detects non-compliance or potential non-compliance. Includes defining and enforcing guidelines for nature, extent and frequency of testing for each level of risk.
- Responsible for conducting periodic reviews of the Group Customer compliance program. Includes testing of reviews performed by others within Group Customer (e.g. Quality Assurance reviewers) to ensure that their results can be relied upon as well as executing first line testing to temporarily fill gaps in testing.
What do you need to succeed?
- A professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA or CMA),
- Specialized control-related designation, or audit related experience would be beneficial, but not required.
- Broad understanding of Group Customer operations, processes and roles
- Experience working in or with Group Customer and/or familiarity with insurance company operations and an understanding of financial reporting processes.
- Proficiency in auditing best practices
- Proven ability to build effective relationships and work collaboratively with other areas
- Self motivated and able to work independently
- Recognized ability to influence/negotiate using targeted persuasion techniques
- Evidence of clear and effective communications with all levels of management
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
Winnipeg is our ideal preference for location, however we will also be accepting applications in London and Toronto as well.
Canada Life is a leading insurance, wealth management and benefits provider focused on improving the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians. For more than 170 years, individuals, families and business owners across Canada have trusted us to provide sound guidance and deliver on the promises we’ve made.
As of January 1, 2020, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life became one company – Canada Life, and today, we proudly serve more than 13 million customer relationships from coast to coast to coast.
Discover your opportunity….Apply today!
Canada Life offers competitive compensation, great benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, wellness account and personal days not to mention onsite cafeteria and fitness in our head office facilities. If you’d like to join our team submit your information online and introduce yourself.
Canada Life serves the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We are committed to providing an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live, and to creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
Canada Life would like to thank all applicants, however only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted