Position # 20028611
ALL VGH EMPLOYEES REFLECT OUR HOSPITAL’S PHILOSOPHY BY CONTINUOUSLY PROVIDING QUALITY SERVICE/CARE.
The Facility Patient Care Manager is responsible for overseeing the management of patient care, bed utilization and administrative functions of the Hospital in the absence of Senior Administrative personnel. The Facility Manager will ensure that the delivery of required health care services is consistent with the values, philosophy, objectives, policies and procedures of Victoria General Hospital. He/she ensures staffing needs are sufficiently met through guidance, adjustments and casual call replacements, in consultation with senior management and the staffing office.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Registration with CRNM or affiliate professional registering body of the applicant.
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated knowledge and skill in acute Hospital Management.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with all categories of staff in all Programs/Services.
- Demonstrated independent decision making skills essential.
- Demonstrated excellence of written and oral communication skills.
- Mental and physical health to meet the demands of the position.
- Demonstrated ability to foster an interdisciplinary collaborative environment.
- Functions within the framework of the Vision, Philosophy, Professional Practice Standards, Objectives, Policies and Procedures of the Victoria General Hospital.
- Communicates appropriately with the respective Manager/Director, Executive Director and Senior Manager on call.
- Facilitates interpretation of Hospital policies to staff, physicians, patients and visitors.
- Makes management decisions that are based on providing the best care to patients, consistent with delegated authority, based on management principles, effective in achieving positive outcomes.
- Reports to Senior Management.
- Actively fosters positive interactions with all personnel and provides support to the nurse(s) in charge.
- Makes frequent rounds of patient care units and obtains a report of ongoing activities.
- Reallocates personnel in accordance with assessment of patient needs, patient care standards and contractual agreements.
- Initiates “Call Backs” as required and completes forms for all approved overtime.
- Recommends staff development needs, staff mix and or schedule changes to the appropriate senior manager.
- Assists in effecting cost containment of allocated budget.
- Assists staff and others in problem solving and decision making.
- Intervenes in any situation that cannot be resolved at the unit level.
- Recommends continuing education needs to the appropriate manager.
- Manages bed utilization in consultation with all necessary services as required.
- Implements bed management contingency plan in accordance with administrative policies.
- Coordinates activities in emergency situations.
- Ensures adequate reporting and investigating of critical occurrences, in accordance with existing policy.
- Recommends or develops necessary policies/procedures in collaboration with the Program Teams and Senior Management.
- Provides positive and negative feedback on performance and professional behavior in a timely and appropriate manner
- Documents significant observations regarding staff performance or occurrences and sends these to the appropriate manager.
- Participates in activities that meet own identified learning needs
- Demonstrates knowledge of current trends in health care.
- Adheres to all safety and health regulations and demonstrates safe work practices.
- Performs other related duties not exceeding skills and capabilities as may be assigned.
Note: This job description is representative and should not be construed as being all inclusive.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search, a Child Abuse Check and an Adult Abuse Registry Check (valid within 6 months of issue). The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more EFT positions greater than 1.0 combined across the WRHA legal entity (Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Health Sciences Centre, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA Corporate Programs, WRHA Community Health Services). Consider this prior to applying for positions, as Employees in this situation cannot be awarded an additional position that will put them over full-time (1.0 EFT).