Under the supervision of the Patient Care Manager, and under the direction of the Registered Nurse, the Health Care Aide (HCA) acts as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team, assisting with patient/resident care and providing basic supportive services as delegated. The Health Care Aide demonstrates a commitment to the vision, values, goals and objectives of the region and Riverview Health Centre.
• Grade X
• Health Care Aide Certificate from a recognized institution required (approved programs).
• One (1) year previous experience in providing rehabilitative, long term care or chronic care to patients/residents preferred.
• Satisfactory employment record required.
• Knowledge of basic nursing care principles, techniques and procedures.
• Knowledge of Personal Health Information Act (PHIA), Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS), Principles of Routine Practices and other relevant Workplace Safety and Health requirements/responsibilities.
• Knowledge of regional, site and work area policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of roles and responsibilities of members of the health care team.
• Skill in providing specialized and/or long term nursing care to patient/residents.
• Skill in application of appropriate techniques for patient/resident lifting, transferring and mobilization.
• Basic computer and keyboarding skills.
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to listen and comprehend effectively.
• Ability to select and use appropriate communication methods pertinent to the situation.
• Ability to follow directions.
• Ability to organize workload and set priorities.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work safely without injury to self, to patients/residents, or to other staff.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with patients/residents, family members and co-workers.
• Physical and mental health to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
It is understood that the duties and responsibilities contained in this Position Description are representative of those necessary to carry out the functions of the position; however, they do not limit the incumbent from performing other related duties.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check (with Vulnerable Sector Search), an Adult Abuse Registry Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.