A little about us
At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
As a System Technician, you will:
• Install residential wiring, including drops, outlet wiring, and building infrastructure
• Operate and understand test equipment related to the maintenance of 2-way coaxial and fibre systems including system analyzers, field strength meters and leakage monitors
• Detect, diagnose and correct issues affecting the services of our customers in a safe and controlled manner
• Respond to and resolve customer service issues arising from the installation and operation of the Shaw High-Speed Internet, Digital Phone and/or cable services with an extreme emphasis on one-call resolution
• Complete all routine service calls independently as well as work with other technical staff as required to ensure the correction of customer problems in an effective and timely manner
• Ensure vehicle, test equipment and tools are maintained in excellent condition
• Maintain accurate system records and support documentation for all work orders
• Promote and sell a positive image of Shaw, our products and services
• Learn and adhere to all applicable Health & Safety regulations
• Various other duties as needed
A typical day
Accountable for performing the project co-ordination and design functions to facilitate the construction, maintenance and repair of our communications network.
• 3-5 years’ experience as a Technician in the telecommunications field or an equivalent level of relevant experience
• A+ certification and experience with RF and cabling are assets
• Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, TCP/IP, Macintosh OS and related Internet applications (Browsers, Mail, etc.)
• Basic mainline knowledge and troubleshooting skills including system maps/mapview
• Understanding of installation procedures for Digital Cable, Phone and Internet
• Competent troubleshooting skills, in all of Shaw products and services
• Basic understanding of RF from distribution to premise
• Competent knowledge and ability of relevant test equipment
• Competent knowledge of MDU/Commercial building cable infrastructure and products
• Advanced PC hardware and software diagnostic skills
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and must provide a driver’s abstract annually
• Physically able to perform all aspects of job including, climb ladders and poles, carry ladders, drag manhole covers 1 – 1.5 m, move televisions and/or entertainment units and/or computer stations, work in a crouched position behind furniture, and work in confined areas such as attics.
Team player with excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to perform work safely in all types of environmental conditions – indoor and outdoor
• Ability to work various shifts including evenings, weekends and statutory holidays
• A positive “can do” attitude and customer focused approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy and sincerity
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.
View original article here Source